Thursday, March 10, 2016

Learn

Parody: "Burn" from Hamilton

It saves every paper they send me
From the moment I read them
I knew - it’s not yours
You said it was yours
It should have been yours


Do you know what the college dean said
When we saw your first paper arrive?
He said

“Be careful with that one, prof
He will cheat when he tries to survive”

Your copied words flooded my senses
It’s clear that you have no defenses
You have no idea what say your paragraphs
You couldn’t read, dull

I’m re-reading this paper you wrote me
I’m searching and scanning for answers
In every line
For some kind of sign
You thought I was blind
You just wouldn’t

Learn
Learn

You submitted the paper you bought, you
You told the whole world how you sought
A quick, easy way out
In seeking those grades, you have ruined your life

Do you know how the college dean scoffed,
Pitched it into the bin?
He said
“You are teaching an idiot
He does not understand Turn It In”

Another one’s words, a pretty poor legacy
Your real writing borders on senseless
And I am paranoid reading each paragraph
Where did you get those-

Words, words, words –

I’m erasing your name from my course’s list
Let future students of mine wonder how I knew it
And acted when you broke the rules
You are banished from my school
I am watching you
Learn
Watching you learn

A cheat has no right to his seat
You can’t succeed and plagiarize
I’m calling you out on your lies
You’re learning the consequence
No second chances, it couldn’t redeem you
You forfeit your possible mark
You forfeit all rights to my class
I’m tossing you out on your ass
With only the quiet plea-
Please use your own mind-

I hope that you
Learn

No comments:

Post a Comment